Jazz Guitar Today’s Joe Barth talks to Slovenian jazz guitarist Marko Čepak Maki.

 We are thrilled to share a captivating interview done bi Jazz Guitar Today's Joe Barth with Marko Čepak Maki.


"JGT’s Joe Barth talks to Slovenian jazz guitarist Marko Čepak Maki.

Slovenia is known for its beautiful mountains and lakes, but there is also a lot of beautiful music there. Jazz is alive and well in its capital, Ljubljana, and elsewhere around the country, and if you are listening to jazz on the guitar, you may very well be listening to Marko Čepak Maki. Marko keeps himself busy performing many expressions of jazz, from modern to ragtime, big band, and more.

JB:  Growing up in Slovenia what inspired you to play jazz guitar?

MM:  I’ve been inspired by many different people and music experiences I gained through the years. Although the jazz scene in Slovenia, especially in the part where I grew up, was not so widespread, jazz music somehow found its way to me.

My parents enrolled me in a music school where I learned classical guitar. My teacher soon noticed my enthusiasm and persuaded my mother to pay for extra private electric guitar lessons where I learned modes and the basics of improvisation." -Jazz Guitar Today


You can read the full interview here: